XAMPP is the most famous PHP and Perl development environment. It helps developers set up a local server that is fully equipped with all the necessary tools and helps them work at high speed. It is a totally free distribution, very simple to install Apache that contains Maria DB (MySQL), PHP and Perl. Package setup is extremely easy for multiple operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Solaris.
XAMPP stands for
: X: Cross-platform
: Apache M: Maria DB (formerly MySQL) P:
The above expansion explains that it is a
- application developed by Apache Friends, which works perfectly on different operating systems such as Windows, Linux and Mac
- Maria DB (updated version of MySQL) is the database system used to store website content and data.
- PHP is a scripting language used on the server side for web development.
- Perl is also a scripting language used to develop web applications (especially large projects are written in Perl).
XAMPP Why XAMPP
XAMPP has been configured to be the simplest and easiest method to install and run a development server. It is a complete open source package very easy to use, unlike the other WAMP packages. There is a start button in XAMPP that starts the web server and other processes. As mentioned above, Apache, Maria DB (MySQL), PHP, and Perl are its most popular tools. It also includes some very useful tools such as phpMyAdmin database administration tool, Mercury mail server, FileZilla FTP server, programming language and Tomcat JSP server.
You can easily configure the above services in the XAMPP control panel. Tasks like checking server status and security launch tools like phpMyAdmin and Webalizer analytics can be carried out from the dashboard with ease. For beginners there are demonstrations for everything that can be of great use. Let’s compare with WAMP. Which one wins the battle regarding features. In the end, you will be able to decide which package is right for you.
XAMPP Vs WAMP XAMPP WAMPP Cross-platform
software, works with Windows, Mac and Linux.Only works on Windows. It includes Apache, Maria DB, PHP and Perl.It comes with Apache, MySQL and PHP. Clean and simple GUI, suitable for beginners. Simple GUI but more buttons, which makes it more suitable for experienced developers. XAMPP is a lightweight server. WAMPP is a slightly heavier server. It consists of more extensions. Limited extensions or less.
This concludes that XAMPP is a complete package for anyone looking to get a full development server up and running in no time. Unlike WAMP, it does not have advanced security, so it cannot be used as a production server. If you want the server to be accessible on the web, you can do so by not following the rules of the Apache Friends development team.
and features The prerequisites for XAMPP are as follows:
- You only need to download and install the executable file
- Few or no web server components (components that
- Microsoft Visula C++ 2017 Redistributable is required for Windows users.
are required for servers) are required.
The features of
are listed below:
- is updated to the latest versions of Apache, Maria DB (MySQL), PHP and Perl
- with other modules like OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, MediaWiki, Joomla, WordPress, etc.
- It comes in full and standard version
- A single machine can have multiple XAMPP instances independently, and any of them can be copied to another machine.
. It comes
How is it used?
The attribute that makes XAMPP Popular is the simplicity with which the WAMP web server stack can be deployed and instantiated. Then Bitnami offers some application packages that are installed.
Initially, XAMPP was designed as a development tool, for designers and programmers to test their work offline. Therefore, there were no security features. Many important security features were disabled by its designers. The latest version of it has the ability to serve pages on the Web. Like other administrative tools, the important and private parts of the package are password protected. It also has a great feature for creating and manipulating databases in Maria DB.
Connecting to MySQL
The MySQL database server is used to store website information or content. How to connect to MySQL using PHP in XAMPP is the real task? For this purpose, you should follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Administrator button in the row next to MySQL.
- will open after clicking admin. Name new database as ‘newdb’.
- By default, the user is ‘root’ without a password. The next step is to write a connection script that will be used to connect MySQL.<?php$user = ‘root’;$pass =’ ‘;$db = ‘newdb’;$ndb = new mysqli (‘localhost’ , $user , $pass , $db) or die (“connection failed”); echo “Successful” //if the connection is successful, will it print correctly?>
- This is how you will connect to MySQL using PHP, just run the code above. If the user does not know the password or other variables, it will generate a warning. This way, you can create different users and passwords to connect to XAMMP MySQL.
The new database creation tab
Both full and standard versions of XAMPP are available for both 64-bit and 32-bit architectures. The official website of XAMPP has only 64 bit installer download available. For beginners trying to install the 64-bit installer on a 32-bit architecture system they may face an error i.e. 216. Since there is no direct download link available for the 32-bit architecture on the official website of the friends of Apache.
For users with operating system with 64-bit architecture there is a direct download link: just click here or visit their official website. For those using the operating system with 32-bit architecture that gets the above error, you can download the 32-bit XAMPP architecture installer: just click here XAMPP
Before installation, please note that you download the installer from a trusted publisher or official website. Since you have downloaded the installer from the link above, now is the time to install it properly. You can download the updated version of XAMPP from the link below. If you want to download other versions, visit the For Windows page.
How to install
XAMPP on Windows
- First, open your web browser
- You can use Google Chrome or Safari
- XAMPP installation file from the link above or from any trusted publisher
- Save this file to any location on your computer.
- After the download is complete, before you begin the installation process, disable your firewall and disable Antivirus (if already installed on your system) to complete the installation.
- Now double click on the .exe file to run the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until the process finishes.
- Go to your desktop and click the XAMPP icon to run the application.
- This is it, enjoy the fabulous app!
. Download the
is free for
any operating system similarly it is completely free for Mac. It is also very easy to install and run the Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. For Mac OS The package has been configured to be very easy to install and use as the Windows operating system. To install and run it on Mac OS, download the offline installer settings.
It is an easy-to-install Apache distribution for Mac OS X. The package for Mac is similar to Windows. It includes Apache web server, MySQL, PHP, Perl, an FTP server and phpMyAdmin.
XAMPP is certainly a complete package with an easy and simple method to install and run on Mac OS X, unlike other WAMP packages. In addition to tools such as Apache, Maria DB (MySQL), PHP and Perl, it also includes some very useful tools such as phpMyAdmin database administration tool, Mercury mail server, FileZilla FTP server, programming language and Tomcat JSP server.
As a world goes towards very simple and easy steps when it comes to operation. The operation may include configuring the installation and running of software. All these steps are very easy and simple in the case of XAMPP. You can easily configure the above services in the XAMPP control panel. Tasks like checking server status and security launch tools like phpMyAdmin and Webalizer analytics can be carried out from the dashboard with ease. For beginners there are demonstrations for everything that can be of great use.
Simply saying, XAMPP is a complete package for Mac users as well. The software’s simple steps and easy graphical user interface make it the perfect choice for beginners and experts alike. Download updated XAMPP, which has the latest versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL.
How to install
XAMPP on Mac First of all, download the XAMPP
- DMG file for Mac from the link above or any trusted publisher. Secondly, open the file
- you have downloaded
- Thirdly, place this file in your Applications folder
- To launch it on Mac, go to /Applications/XAMPP/manager-osx.app to open XAMPP Control. Then open the Manage Servers tab to launch Apache and MySQL.
- To test the installation on Mac OS X, open the browser and type http://localhost. You will see the XAMPP boot locator. Enjoy!
XAMPP for Ubuntu
XAMPP is well known to Windows users as most Windows users use it for server development. But it also offers a great package for Ubuntu/Linux as well. Here we will explain how to install and uninstall XAMPP on Ubuntu. These simple steps will help you accomplish the task smoothly. You can also check the ‘done’ bye installation simply by using some URLs. There is a privilege for Ubuntu users who can uninstall the entire package with just a few commands.
We have done the download, installation, execution and uninstallation on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system. The method and commands are described below:
How to Install XAMPP on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- System The first step is to download the Ubuntu installation file. You can download the latest version of XAMPP for Ubuntu by clicking here or use any other trusted editor to download the package.
- Open the terminal to run the file. Use the shortcut key to open the terminal by typing ‘Ctrl + Alt + T’ on your keyboard. Once the terminal is opened, access the downloaded file in the location of your computer. It is now executable. You can use these commands to perform the process:
$ cd /home/[username]/Downloads
$ chmod 755
- Now, you need to confirm the execute permission by typing
$ls -l [package name] in the terminal
- Step 4 will be to start the Setup Wizard. For this
$ sudo ./[package name]
Then, to start the Setup Wizard,
- follow the Graphical Setup Wizard by following the steps in the Bitnami GUI
- Now, launch XAMPP through the terminal. In the CLI type to launch it through terminal.
$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
- Step 7 is to verify the installation. After the installation is complete, you need to verify it by typing http://localhost in the browser. In the response you will receive a welcome note with the Linux version on screen. Hooray! You have successfully completed the installation and are ready to use.
Like other portable applications, XAMPP’s portable setup also works perfectly. Before running your portable setup, you need to use XAMPP Launcher. Then download the portable version and install it in the root directory of your portable device or in the subdirectory within the launcher. Also to open the zip/7z file of the XAMPP Portable version with 7 -Zip Portable.
XAMPP Portable is a complete package. The complete portable package is equipped with web, database and FTP server for Windows. Like the full package, the portable package also has all the necessary tools. Includes:
- PHP + PEAR
- Panel, FileZilla FTP Server
- XAMPP Security
- Mercury Mail Transport System
- Zend Optimizer,
, XAMPP Control
About Apache Friends
The ultimate goal of Apache Friends is to promote the Apache web server by developing completely free tools like XAMPP. It is a non-profit project just to help developers and programmers. The pacakage is very simple and easy to download, install and run the Apache distribution containing Maria DB, PHP and Perl.
XAMPP has a large community base, as they have been working for 10 years. You can contact them and share your ideas and participate in discussions by following their Facebook page, Twitter account and Google Plus. The Apache Friends community is a great help.
https://www.facebook.com/we.are.xampp https://twitter.com/apachefriends https://plus.google.com/+xampp/posts
For more information and updates, visit https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html