April 1, 2023 | by: Martijn Sebastian | NL OF How to
reset WordPress? We have provided step-by-step instructions below to manually reinstall WordPress. You will need FTP access or Cpanel access to complete the instructions below. You will need your credentials to access FTP or Cpanel. Contact your hosting provider if you don’t have them.
1. BACK UP YOUR CONTENT
This step will create a WordPress export file. This file will contain all your content, including pages, comments, categories, tags, and posts. This is an important step that will help ensure that your content is secure after a new WordPress installation is completed. About better backups you can read here.
Log in to your WordPress dashboard and click on the ‘tools’ menu. Click on the ‘
- Export item’ menu
- the file
- to your
- computer’s download library. Before proceeding, make sure that the file is easily found.
. Click the All Content check mark.
on the ‘Export File’ button You should have downloaded
Arabic numeral. DOWNLOAD CPANEL (OR FTP) FILES
- Log in to your cPanel account (or other FTP client).
- Locate the ‘wp_content’ folder. Click File Manager, then click Public_html, and then click wp-content.
- Click the “Compress” button. You should now see the zip file in the same folder.
- the zip and click ‘download’
- Before moving on to the next step, make sure that the wp-content download is saved on your computer.
To download the file, click on
3. UNINSTALL WORDPRESS
- cPanel can be used or your FTP client. Select all files and click ‘Delete’.
- If prompted, confirm the deletion
- Create a new database. You have the option to delete or not delete the existing database.
4. INSTALL WP (LATEST VERSION)
- Download the latest version of the software by going to WordPress.Org
- Drag the unzipped files from your FTP client (cPanel or similar) to the public_html directory
- Once you have uploaded all the files, go to their website. Once there, enter the database information you created earlier.
- Submit’, then click ‘Run Installation’. Click the
- Install WordPress” button.
5. DELETE DEFAULT CONTENT – RESTORE WP-CONTENT
- Sign up for your new WordPress website
- Click on the “Posts” menu in the WP control panel
- Throw away any post. For example, the publication “Hello World”. When new data is added, you’ll need to make sure there are no pages or posts that conflict with the old data.
- To ensure that the default comments are deleted, click on the
- Make sure there are no pages in the “Pages” menu.
- Log in to your FTP client (cPanel, similar) and locate
- Click on
- Drag the file you have previously downloaded to the ‘wp_content’ folder.
the ‘public_html folder.
the ‘wp_content’ folder
6. IMPORT WORDPRESS CONTENT
Log back into the WordPress dashboard. Click the “Tools” menu, then click “Import”.
- Install the WordPress Importer tool
- Run Importer” button. Click
- ‘ button to select the xml file we downloaded earlier.
- click the
- Upload File and Export” button. To assign an author to pages, you’ll need to create an account. Allow images to be uploaded to the clip organizer.
Click the “
the ‘Choose File